324 Quaker Meetinghouse Road
East Sandwich, Massachusetts 02537
Hook & Hastings, Boston, Massachusetts, Opus 1848, 1899
Originally installed in St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Lowell, Massachusetts
Rebuilt by Rostron Kershaw, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1963
Rebuild and Restoration ongoing by Andover Organ Company, Methuen, Massachusetts, 2003
Three manuals and pedal
Electric Slider Chests (Electro-Pneumatic Pull-Downs
or Electro-Mechanical Pallets)
Electric Key Action
This organ was altered with electronic organ components.
No further information will be posted about this instrument.
16' Open Diapason
8' 1st Open Diapason
8' 2nd Open Diapason
8' Doppel Flöte
8' Rohr Flöte
4' Flute Harmonique
2 2/3' Twelfth
16' Double Trumpet
8' Open Diapason
8' Voix Celeste
8' Stopped Diapason
4' Flauto Traverso
2 2/3' Nazard
1 3/5' Tierce
8' Vox Humana
16' Lieblich Gedeckt
8' Geigen Principal
8' Unda Maris
4' Flute d’Amour
16' Trompette en Chamade
8' Trompette en Chamade
4' Clarion en Chamade
16' Bourdon (Cel)
8' Open Diapason (Cel)
8' Flute (Ext)
8' Tromba (Ext)
32' Grand Bourdon
16' Double Open Diapason
16' Open Diapason (Gt)
16' Lieblich Gedeckt (Ch)
10 2/3' Contra Quint
8' Flutebass (Ch)
5 1/3' Quint
4' Flute (Ch)
32' Contra Bombarde (Ext)
16' Double Trumpet (Gt)
8' Open Diapason
8' Concert Flute
8' Gamba Celeste
2' Harmonic Piccolo
8' Tuba Mirabilis
8' Cor Anglais
Electric action was added to slider chests and a new console was added in 1963 by Rostron Kershaw. Organ was removed from St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church in Lowell, Massachsuetts in 1995 and sold through the Organ Clearing House in 1996.
Installation to be done in stages. Stage 1 completed in 2003. #1 = case, structure, wind system and great division. Case reworked from 33' high to 22'.
Concave radiating pedalboard. Console has drawknobs and flat angled vertical jambs.
On Sunday, August 31, 2003 over 1,100 people gathered outside the new Corpus Christi Parish Church building forming a procession from the "old church" to the doors of the new church in a moving dedication ceremony that was to last three hours.
A group of brass players led by Music Director James DeFrancesco played hymns and marches as the procession winded its way to the new church doors.
Architect Dennis Keefe and builder Allen Whitaker handed over the keys and plans of the building to The Bishop of Fall River, The Most Reverend George W. Coleman who in turn presented the keys to Corpus Christi Pastor, The Reverend Marcel H. Bouchard.
The procession continued into the sanctuary where the consecration ceremony commenced with the litany of the Saints, the depositing of the relics of St. Paulina in the altar and the anointing and incensing of the altar and the building.
Next the Eucharist was celebrated for the first time in the building.
The liturgical music was, for the most part, composed by Music Director, James N. DeFrancesco sung by a choir of more than seventy members, with an orchestra of 28 players and, of course, the organ played by James E. Jordan.
Because of the cost of the new building, it was decided to install the organ in stages with the first stage being the Great division, the wind system and the casework.
Subsequent stages would be the Swell, Choir, Pedal, a new four manual console and an antiphonal Celestial division.
Because of the construction, the organ case was installed in June with the remainder of stage 1 being installed in July between the pew installation and the stained glass installation.
Tonal Director John Morlock tuned and regulated the organ in August, finishing just in time for the dedication.
The "new" organ was the Hook & Hastings instrument, Opus 1848, 1899, originally installed in St. Peter's Church. Lowell, MA, rescued at the last minute by Andover on a bitterly cold March day just ahead of the wrecker's ball.
St. Peter's had been closed for 10 years due to structural problems.
With some additions, the organ was ideal for the new Corpus Christi Church. Consultant James Jordan, James DeFrancesco and Thomas Ryan, Liturgist, along with the Pastor, Reverend Marcel H. Bouchard met with Don Olson of Andover to work out the details of the installation.
The main problem was that in St. Peter's, the height of the organ case was 38 feet and the space allotted to the organ in Corpus Christi was 21 feet.
With designer Jay Zoller and master woodworker Al Hosman, the case was reconfigured to fit into the space.
The massive 16' Open Diapason pipes were lowered to six inches above the floor and the impost and case panels were cut apart, lowered and mitered to fit.
The building and organ were featured in the Cape Cod Times...Building a dream on August 30, 2003.
The organ was dedicated on Sunday, August 31, 2003 with Dr. James E. Jordan, Jr. as the organist.
8 Jarves Street, Sandwich, Massachusetts 02563
Woodberry & Harris, Boston, Massachusetts, 1895
One manual and pedal
Slider chests, Mechanical Key and Stop Action
2 divisions, 7 ranks, 7 stops
This organ was moved by the Organ Clearing House from St. Augustine's Roman Catholic Church in Boston, Massachusetts to Sandwich.
The church building on Jarves Street was sold and turned into a Bed and Breakfast while the church built a new church on Quaker Meetinghouse Road.
The whereabouts of the organ are unknown at the time the building was sold.
Source: Andover Organ Company, Methuen, Massachusetts
Sarah E. Bach
Corpus Christi Parish (Roman Catholic), Sandwich, Massachusetts
Organ Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia
Organs of the United States and Canada Database (OUSCDB), Seattle, Washington