200 Main Street
Wellfleet, Massachusetts 02667
E. and G.G. Hook & Hastings, Boston, Massachusetts, Opus 724, 1873
Rebuilt by Andover Organ Company Methuen, Massachusetts, 1960
Restored with additions by Andover Organ Company as Opus R302, 1995
Two manuals and pedal
Slider chests, Mechanical Key and Stop Action
22 stops, 14 ranks
Manual I: GREAT
(46 notes: c to a3)
8' Open Diapason
4' Rohr Fl÷te
2 2/3' Twelfth
8' Swell to Great
8' Great to Pedale
8' Swell to Pedale
Balanced Swell Pedal
Manual II: SWELL
8' Viola II M.
8' Stopped Diapason Treble II M.
(46 notes: c to a3)
8' Stopped Diapason Bass II M.
(12 notes: C to B)
4' Flute Harmonic II M.
4' Violina II M.
2' Flautino II M.
8' Oboe II M.
(pedal: draws all
(pedal: cancels all
Great stops except
and Rohr Fl÷te)
"The organ in the First Congregational Church, Wellfleet, was built by E. & G.G. Hook & Hastings for the recess behind the pulpit which was enlarged to hold the instrument and the choir.
The organ was housed in a splendid case of three tall arches, made of American black walnut, and topped with a lyre covered with gold leaf.
The front pipes speak as the lowest 15 notes of the Open Diapason, and were covered with aluminum leaf and gold leaf on the pipe mouths.
The manual pipework is all on one level, with the Great behind the fašade, then the enclosed Swell, with the pedal somewhat lower at the very rear.
During the early part of this century, the organ went through several minor changes.
An electric blower replaced the original pump handle.
A thirty note concave radiating pedal board replaced the original twenty-seven note flat pedal board, and a balanced swell pedal replaced the original ratchet system.
More significantly, to meet the fashion of the times, the Great Octave, the Swell Flute Harmonic, and, to a lesser degree, several other stops were made softer.
At some point, the original gold and aluminum leaf of the fašade pipes was hidden by a metallic gold paint.
In 1960 some major work was done by the Andover Organ Company.
The Octave and Harmonic Flute were made somewhat louder, closer to the original.
Again, following the trends of the time, the original Melodia was replaced with a very nice 4' Rohr Fl÷te, and the 4' Violina pipes were cut off to become a 2' flute.
By the 1980's, it became apparent that the old blower had bearing problems and was due for replacement, and the reservoir, which had been extensively patched in 1960, needed complete re-leathering.
Brad Williams, Director of Music, along with The Committee for the Ministry of the Arts decided that everything which was needed be done at one time.
All moving parts would be refurbished, and the key ivories repaired with some replacements.
The pitch would be lowered from the original (which was much sharper then A 440) to the current standard, so brasses and other instruments could be used with the organ.
All pipework would be repaired, and the speech and volume be adjusted to the style of the E. & G.G. Hook & Hastings organs of the 1870's.
Most importantly, the Melodia and Violina would be restored, although there should be a 2' stop in the Swell, and the 4' Rohr Fl÷te should be retained on the Great.
Andover provided a Melodia from the Hook & Hastings Opus 1684 built in 1894.
Five pipes of the original Melodia bass survived, and are again part of the Melodia.
The pipes of the Swell 2' Flute were lengthened in the Andover pipe shop, and revoiced to sound much as they originally did, as the 4' Violina.
A 2' Flautino for the Swell was made from the Viola of Hook & Hastings Opus 1225 (1884), with new pipes for the 2' treble.
The pedal was completed by providing new mechanism and old pipes for the top three notes of both pedal stops.
These top notes had never worked except for pedal couplers.
Scrapings from the fašade pipes were analyzed, and it was determined that they were originally decorated with aluminum and gold leaf.
The decision was made to restore them to their original appearance.
This is thought to be the first application of aluminum leaf to organ pipes for several decades, at least in the United States.
With this restoration, the Wellfleet organ has a secure place as Cape Cod's finest example of later nineteenth century organ building." ~ Robert Newton, Andover Organ Company
Source: Organ Historical Society, Richmond, Virginia
Cape Cod Chapter, American Guild of Organists